About Me

My photo
Our adventure started on a beautiful June day in 2004. Fast forward 12 years and now we are the proud parents of 3 active, beautiful boys. Nathan, Bracken, and Marco. We call Prescott Valley, Arizona home and are constantly reminded that there is never enough time to accomplish and experience everything we think we want. Life with a young family is precious and simplicity is our ongoing quest.

September 5, 2014

Epic Tenth Anniversary

June 11, 2014

Curtis and I have now been married for TEN years!  A tenth anniversary is a significant milestone, one that is celebrated with something a little extra special.  We tossed around the idea of going on a trip just the two of us, but in the end we couldn't justify the expense with very important home improvement projects just around the corner.  Our actual anniversary fell on a Wednesday which happened to be one of Curtis's busiest teaching days with his summer schedule.  We really try to celebrate on the actual day as much as possible but this year just had too many obstacles.  Or so I thought.

I woke up Wednesday morning to find a package labeled "Search for Lost Treasure - Participant Instruction Packet: First Mate Courtney" waiting for me (everything was pirate themed).  Inside I found a letter, Search For Lost Treasure Scavenger Hunt Agenda, a page with QR codes all over it labeled "Detailed Instructions", and a secret code word recorder page to keep track of my clues for the secret code word. Needless to say I was impressed.

At this point in the morning Curtis was still home and totally taking over the kid's needs.  He got them ready and fed them breakfast and even braved taking them to swimming lessons so I could relax, get myself ready and begin my scavenger hunt. 

As I was doing my hair I scanned the first QR code at the bottom of my letter and it directed me to a video of Curtis.  The video began with some theme music (Pirates of the Caribbean score) and then he gave me my first set of instructions: head to Einstein Bros. Bagels for breakfast.  Ay, ay Captain!  And so began my day. 

At each stop I had to keep my receipt to find my next clue on the QR page which always opened up a new video of Curtis and the Pirate's music giving me my next set of instructions.  It was like having Curtis with me all day, I loved it!  The receipts also held the key for unlocking the clues for the secret code word.  And in each video he told me where little envelopes of "pirate booty", aka cash, were stored in random places throughout our mini van.  My man went all out with this scavenger hunt, it was AWESOME!

Stop #1

I enjoyed a delicious breakfast bagel sandwich with mushrooms, asparagus and egg with a smoothie at Einstein Bros. Bagels.  It was heavenly.

 Stop #2

Shopping spree at Target!!!  I had 2 hours to kill with no kids, I was in window shopping heaven.  



 Stop #3

Lunch at Panda Express

 Stop #4

Free time complete with a mandatory cold treat.


And what did I do with my free time?  I washed my car!  It's what I wanted to do so I did it.  Later Curtis told me he envisioned me lounging at the library reading a book.  That would have been great too, but it never crossed my mind!


 Stop #5

I was instructed to pick out 2 movies at Redbox, one to watch while I waited for Curtis to teach his online evening class and then one to watch with him.

And the last stop of the day was dinner with my sweet husband at Red Robin.  We had a narrow window of time to catch dinner between his afternoon classes and evening classes but we made it work.  And the food was delicious as always.

Secret Code Word:  Amor Eterno

All in all it was an amazing day for me, not so much for Curtis.  He played mister mom in the morning before Grandma came to relieve him of his duties.  Then he went to work, all after staying up late into the night putting the finishing touches on my scavenger hunt activity.  I guess he loves me!

0 comments: