Oh my darn luck!
Sunday afternoon I slipped on our wet driveway right as I reached the garage door, it was literally my last step. I was wearing heals, and my left foot hit the ground just right causing it to twist and slip. Unfortunately I came crashing down on my ankle. I was able to get back on my feet, open the garage door and walk into the house, but the minute I sat down the swelling set in fast and furious.
We gave it a day, but I could tell that it was more than a regular ol' sprain. We opted for the urgent care center over the ER, and after 3 hours of waiting during various stages they discovered that I had fractured my ankle in 2 different places. They wrapped me up really good, fitted a splint to my leg and set me up with an orthopedic specialist to determine my long term treatment needs. Even though we were there for a LONG time, the bill of $72 (including x-rays) sure beats whatever the ER would have charged.
Now I have to keep my foot elevated and ice it every couple of hours. And I have strict instructions to not put any weight on it at all. So basically I spend my days propped up in bed, ordering my dear husband around and trying to help him manage his new found responsibilities of running the household while keeping the kids in check. He has been a good sport about it and takes really good care of me, but any time he holds still he konks out.
This afternoon I made up the groccery list for him and it was longer than any other groccery list he has had to handle before. This was a "Courtney sized list" not the 2 or 3 item list he usally gets from me. He was nervous about it, but I wrote the list out in order of the store isles to help him out as much as I could and he has the cell with him in case of an emergency.
I'm grateful this happened during a time when Curtis can be available to pick up my slack. But with Christmas right around the corner we have had to really simplify our expectations for the rest of the season. We will not be making it down to the Temple Lights this week like we had planned. And my holiday baking will have to be put on hold, maybe indeffinately. But now I should have ample time to address and mail out our Christmas Cards. And another plus, I only had to shave one leg when I showered today.
Tomorrow morning we meet with the specialist so we will see what more lies in store. Life is just a series of adjustments!

0 comments:
Post a Comment