As of February 6th, I am cast FREE!!!!
After another round of xrays I was cleared for take off. No more heavy cast and no more ugly cast shoe!Walking without the cast felt really strange. My foot was floppy and weak and in serious need of some scrubbing. I have a brace I am supposed to wear when I am out and about, the only problem is with the swelling plus the brace my footwear options are incredibly limited. I had to purchase some lace up shoes in size 11 to fit it all comfortably.
The morning after my cast came off I took a bath to let my leg soak and I spent 30 minutes alternating between scrubbing and shaving. The water was nasty from all the scabs and dead skin that came off. After the bath I took a shower for a whole body clean. I was extremely grateful to say goodbye to my 2 trusty garbage bags that kept my splint and then my cast water free for 5 weeks. I will not miss trying to bend over my belly and situate my leg in those bags.
My ankle is really stiff, swollen and extremely limited in movement, but I can walk on it. I have started physical therapy to help regain normal use of my ankle. I go 3 times a week for 1 1/2 hours, alternating between the pool and "Land" as they call it or the work out floor. On PT days I am wiped out. It sure takes a lot of energy to grow a baby and heal an ankle.
Even though I am not back to normal, and I still walk with a limp and it will be several months before I can wear any heels I am extremely grateful to have come this far. I will not be sporting a cast when I give birth and I have enough energy and capability to take care of my home and family. Here's to the next stage of this unexpected adventure!

1 comments:
So glad the cast is gone! I'm glad you are back to doing what you love - taking good care of your family and home! Can't wait to see your new little one!
Post a Comment