We finally made it to the Gilbert Temple open house on the very last day. Long story short we didn't have tickets, we didn't get there right when they opened at 8 am, and by the time we arrived at 11 am all the lines were very long so we waited in line for 3 hours. Our water and snacks quickly ran out and it was the warmest day yet this spring, but thankfully not hot in true Phoenix/Mesa desert style. The sweet tour workers were doing their best to ease our pain by providing water stations, umbrellas, sunscreen, patio umbrellas and EZ up tents. Somehow the way the line moved our family always missed out on the nice patches of shade from these strategically placed tents. We always landed between shade.
Luckily our kids were troopers. There was minimal murmuring and complaining. They just settled down and made the best of a not so enjoyable afternoon. Nathan and Bracken each had a little motorcycle in their pocket (the only toy we allowed them to bring with them in the line) and they got lots of mileage out of those little motos. Marco had fun wandering around making friends with other little kids in line and pouring water on his head.
If I had known the weather would be so warm I would have dress my boys in their summer church shorts and sandals. They kept cool by drinking water (those water stations saved us) and playing in patches of shade when we could find them. I was the best off wearing a skirt and open toed shoes so I held our place in line and fanned myself with a pamphlet while Papi and the kids lounged in shady corners.
Almost there!
Was the way-longer-than-anticipated wait worth it? I think so. The tour was a bit rushed because they had a record turnout of people on the last day. I would have liked to linger a little bit longer in some rooms, even a slow meander would have been nice. They marched us steadily through, but in all fairness there were still hoards of people waiting for their moment in some air conditioning. The boys were enthralled with their white booties except for Marco, he wouldn't let the sweet young woman helper come close to his feet with those booties. So Papi carried him through in his socks. Nathan had fun noticing all the agave flower motifs found throughout the decor, mill work, windows and furnishings. Bracken was awe struck by the gigantic chandelier in the Celestial Room. The moment he saw it he tugged on my hand and said pointing "It's so sparkly!"
Nathan and Bracken really enjoyed seeing an example of the rooms and places Mommy and Papi go to when we "go to the temple". I'm glad we went.
After our tour we hurried back to our car, drained our remaining water supply, the kids changed into play clothes, and we headed to the park across the street to eat lunch because we were hungry. It was 3:30, so really we ate lunner. After lunch we hit up Culver's for some ice cream and then headed to Ikea because Bracken couldn't face another trip down to the valley without "playing in the apples". Curtis and I love hanging out in Ikea together so it was a win win situation. We headed for home at 7 pm and the kids conked out in the car. Curtis wasn't far behind them so I guess it's a good thing I was driving. I stayed awake drinking ice water (I was still replenishing my supply) and jamming out to an old CD from my college years.
All in all it was a full and memorable day.

0 comments:
Post a Comment