About Me

My photo
Our adventure started on a beautiful June day in 2004. Fast forward 12 years and now we are the proud parents of 3 active, beautiful boys. Nathan, Bracken, and Marco. We call Prescott Valley, Arizona home and are constantly reminded that there is never enough time to accomplish and experience everything we think we want. Life with a young family is precious and simplicity is our ongoing quest.

October 2, 2011

Conference Happenings

General Conference Weekend is a major highlight in my year.  It is a change of pace which helps charge my personal battery.  The spiritual nourishment is amazing and propels me on for the next 6 months till the next General Conference.  I love re-listening to conference talks throughout the week.  It is the best way for me to minimize the "worldy distractions" that clog my mind. And since several speakers counseled us yet again to be careful about the things/media/activities we allow in our lives, that can become those awful distractions, I think I'll keep it up. 

Enjoying General Conference with young children is difficult.  They don't want to sit and listen to church leaders talk for 2 hours, twice a day, for 2 days. That's a lot to ask especially for my 2 active kidlets.  Curitis loves to sit and soak in all the amazing and uplifting counsel and take copius notes.  So, like the good wife I am, I manage all the needs/requests/mishaps/tantrums/scuffles thus the need to re-listen to conference several times.  Curtis did do most of the cooking and dishes today so I think it was a fair trade.
 
Nathan was super excited to do some "Conference Crafts" as he lovingly calls them.  With the internet at my fingertips, I can find an endless supply of conference related activities to keep him busy.  Six months ago for the last General Conference I printed out a lot of packets.  But, they weren't really his thing yet.  He colored a few courtesy pages to make me feel good but he really only wanted to explore his 72 hour kit.  Every conference we pull them out to make sure they are up to date.  He enjoyes eating the old, hard fruit snacks and playing with the little toys and games he picked out to pack in the kit.  I was pleasantly surprised when Saturday morning he woke up jazzed to watch conference and do some crafts.  So I obliged and he meticulously went about coloring, cutting and taping.

When Nathan consentrates he does cute things with his lips.

And here is the finished product.
He made these during the Saturday sessions, and when we tucked him into bed Saturday night he told Curtis "Guess what Dad?  Tomorrow we get to watch more conference and make more crafts!" How cute is that!

Of course conference wouldn't be complete without a nap or two.

We rounded out the weekend with a delicious batch of oatmeal peanut butter chip cookies made by Curtis and a batch of bread made by me!  Thanks babe for ginding up more wheat for me!  There are a whole lot of yummy smells going on over here tonight.

And thanks to our amazing church, I can already listen/watch the entire confernce.  They get those things archived so fast these days.  One talk that really spoke to me was Elder Neil L. Anderson's talk about family and motherhood.  It's the first one I am listening to tomorrow!

0 comments: