About Me

My photo
Our adventure started on a beautiful June day in 2004. Fast forward 12 years and now we are the proud parents of 3 active, beautiful boys. Nathan, Bracken, and Marco. We call Prescott Valley, Arizona home and are constantly reminded that there is never enough time to accomplish and experience everything we think we want. Life with a young family is precious and simplicity is our ongoing quest.

April 29, 2012

SWCOLT Conference - Phoenix AZ

A few weekends ago the kidlets and I joined Curtis in Phoenix while he attended a foreign language teachers conference.  The college covers most of the expense so we figured it would be a fun little family getaway, especially since it was being held at a swanky hotel with a pool and water slide.

During the day Curtis attended various classes and lectures while the rest of us hung out in our hotel room (the boys were thrilled to have "channels" at their disposal on the TV), relaxed by the pool, and enjoyed the beautiful Phoenix Spring weather.

I had great expectations for this trip being that it was our first getaway since Marco was born and I felt we could use some family fun time.  In reality it was really stressful for Curtis and I.  Nathan and Bracken were extremely excited for this trip and they had their own ideas about what they wanted to do and when they wanted to do it.  There was plenty of nagging and whining because things weren't fun enough or happening fast enough.  We spent a good part of our day in the hotel room but with having a newborn in the family again things had to be laid back and simple.  Plus, neither boy slept very well while we were there.  We tired to get them to bed at a decent time but with all of us in one hotel room they found it difficult to relax and stop goofing around. 

Even though the entire trip wasn't a huge success we did have some great family moments.  The big boys loved the pool.  It was our first swimming experience for the season but it didn't take long for them to pick up where they left off last summer.  Nathan was soon running and jumping into the water and Bracken was swimming around with his foating vest on.  I wasn't able to enjoy swimming myself because the water was a bit too chilly for Marco so he and I lounged nearby on the chairs.





Later in the afternoon Curtis was finished with the days classes, so he and the boys went exploring and enjoyed the tennis, volleyball, and basket ball courts.


We were able too trick the kids into having a nap before we attempted to take them out that evening.  It was a lovely sight having all 3 boys asleep at the same time!  This is Marco's completely relaxed and deep asleep position. He konked out just after I changed his diaper so I just let him be.


Our hotel was across the interstate from Castles N' Coasters which of course was calling Nathan's name.  Our boys aren't old/big enough to truly enjoy an amusement park so we opted for the miniature golf option and it was a hit. Every one was happy and entertained at the same time.





After our round of golf we hit up Sweet Tomatoes for dinner then called it a night and headed back to the hotel for another bedtime struggle.

Our last day there was not very eventful, we spent the entire morning in the hotel room waiting for Curtis to finish up his classes for the conference so we could check out.  Luckily it was Saturday which meant a never ending supply of cartoons to help entertain the kidlets while I packed us back up.  But before we headed home was had one last stop to make- Ikea.

I have never been to Ikea before that day, I know, I know, I'm way behind the times.  Curtis has known about my wish to finally experience the Ikea hype and he sweetly insisted on making a stop there before we headed home.  Ikea is a good 20 minute drive away from our hotel and by the time we got there all 3 boys were fast asleep so Curtis offered to hang out in the car with them while I shopped in peace.  I took the time to wander the entire upper level showroom and then I did a bit of shopping in the market place.  Fifty minutes later I headed back out to our car to find Curtis holding a crying baby and trying to entertain the big boys too.  Apparently Marco woke up minutes after I left and my sweet husband tried to pacify him for almost an hour so I could enjoy myself.  What a guy!

By the time we fed every one lunch and hit the road for home, Curtis and I were very ready for our little trip to be done!  It is always nice to come home after a trip but this time it was heavenly.  We unloaded, made a yummy dinner, bathed the boys and put them to bed early.  Then we relaxed because we needed a vacation from our vacation.


0 comments: